'Stay Here'
It's Over

In the Guardian: On abortion and disability

Profiled

It's practically a cliché for me to assert that life with Charlie is quite unlike anything I ever could have imagined before he was born almost 16 years ago and that life without Charlie is unimaginable. There's been quite a bit to do these past weeks with teaching my way through the end of the Roman Republic and Charlie's med change which has been (we think we see now) wound up with a spate of panic/anxiety attacks -- things got a bit extreme but there is our boy on Saturday with a freshly done haircut and shave -- so, almost a week after it was published, here is s a piece I wrote on abortion and disability in the Guardian.

A woman must have the right to have control over her body. Easily said by a college junior; believed with equal fervency by a woman whose diurnal rounds are very much directed by others (Charlie, obviously) and who's learned that, sometimes when your circumstances are not all free-and-easy-do-as-I-will-whenever--all-the-time, very good things can sprout.

 

Comments

farmwifetwo

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2013/05/01/f-autism-parents-costs.html

It costs money.... lots of money... who's going to pay???

Yes, I passed on the testing. Yes, I know the rules. Yes, I've gotten the funding.

But I'm only one of 25%... the other 75% want it done for them... and don't want to play by the rules.

Who's going to care for the children and then the adults if their families can't or won't?? And in today's society... won't becomes more and more common every day.

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been posted. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...

Post a comment

Your Information

(Name is required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)